Saturday, October 22, 2011

Lies We Believe About God

 I am helping to co-facilitate a book/bible study on "The Lies Women Believe And The Truth That Sets Them Free By Nancy Leigh DeMoss". While I have once lead these book/bible study before it has been a much deeper experience for me. I believe, no I know, that it is due to the fact that I have a deeper relationship with the Lord and have a softer heart than I did when I lead it the first time. Which takes me to the chapter that we covered a few weeks ago. The lies we believe about God. Many women especially christian women would (and probably do) think that they do not believe any lies about God. But, we may believe them and not realize it at all, which leads us to deeper bondage because we are unaware of these lies we may be believing. The only way to get rid of the bondage is to get to the root of the problem and not just the surface issues. I mean those deep (I hope I can stuff it forget about it problems). Going through these particular lies this time around made me go hmmmmm? Do I still have lies that I believe about God? Well, the answer was yes, not exactly the lies covered in the book but parts of them at any rate. There are 6 lies that Nancy lists her book that we believe about God. The two in which I identified with were God is Not Really Enough, which manifests itself in my life as me trying to help God along instead of letting Him work in my life. Nancy in this book also gives us the truth to combat the lies we believe and the truth for this lie is God is enough. If I have Him, I have all I need. The scriptures Nancy references for this truth are; The Lord is my shepherd, I have all that I need. Psalm 23:1 NLT, Yet I am always with you; you hold me by my right hand. You guide me with your counsel, and afterward you will take me into glory. Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you. My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever. Psalm 73:23-26 NIV, and For in Christ lives all the fullness of God in a human body. So you also are complete through your union with Christ, who is the head over every ruler and authority. Colossians 2:9-10 NLT. The next lie I believed is God Should Fix My Problems which , manifests itself as me taking a victim mentality toward passed issues (abuses) and current ones. But I am  reminded of the truth which is, Life is hard, that God is more concerned about glorifying Himself and changing me than about solving all my problems, that God has an eternal purpose He is fulfilling in the midst of my problems, that He wants to use my problems as part of His sanctifying process in my life, and that no matter what problem I am facing God's grace is sufficient for me. The scriptures that supports these truths are; the creation looks forward to the day when it will join God’s children in glorious freedom from death and decay. For we know that all creation has been groaning as in the pains of childbirth right up to the present time. Romans 8:21-22 NLT, For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. 2 Corinthians 4:17 NIV, Not only so, but we also glory in our sufferings, because we know that suffering produces perseverance; perseverance, character; and character, hope. Romans 5:3-4 NIV, Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-4 NIV, “But he knows where I am going. And when he tests me, I will come out as pure as gold. Job 23:10 NLT, and even though I have received such wonderful revelations from God. So to keep me from becoming proud, I was given a thorn in my flesh, a messenger from Satan to torment me and keep me from becoming proud. Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. That’s why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong. 2 Corinthians 12:7-10. So what is the point to this my fellow woman (christian and non-christian)? First, I would like to recommend this book to you to explore what lies you may be believing that has you in the grips of bondage and second, ask the Lord to keep you heart soft and open and not like stone, so you can be set free from whatever lies that you believe and not be in bondage any longer. I have had such an eye opening experience leading this wonderful group of women and getting fresh insights from them that I may not have recognized due to my hard headiness no my stubbornness
no I got it due to my pride. I thank the Lord for what He has shown me this time around that I was not ready to see two years ago. I pray that you take time (as if any of us have a lot of it) to read or reread this book and if your heart is open you will have an amazing experience. I would like to leave you with Galations 5:1 It is for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm, then, and do not let yourselves be burdened again by a yoke of slavery.

2 comments:

  1. Hello Unity,

    I went through that study too, I think. I also really appreciated Beth Moore's study "Breaking Free" that addresses the lies we hold onto also. Powerful.

    Jennifer Dougan
    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I know Beth Moore's bible study as well I led that last fall and it to was a heart felt deep digging in to lies and bondage we have. Thanks for the comment and God bless.

    ReplyDelete