Saturday, September 17, 2011

Devotion to God

         



          What is devotion to the Lord? I mean true devotion. I used to think that it meant being good and kind to others and serving at my church but I was recently reminded that it is so much more than that. God has laid this on my heart so I have been on a search for what it means to be truly devoted to the Lord. So first I looked it up in the dictionary and this is what I found; 1.Ardent, often selfless affection and dedication, as to a person or principle. 2. Religious ardor or zeal; piety. 3. a.An act of religious observance or prayer, especially when private. Often used in the plural. b.devotions Prayers or religious texts: a book of devotions. 4. The act of devoting or the state of being devoted. OK, so now I understand what the word means but it still did not show me what true devotion to the Lord is. The definitions seemed to be missing something to me. So I looked to my bible, to find examples but before I got into the scriptures I came across something I had taped in the cover of my bible.

"My definition of devotion
is taking time to
sit at the feet of Jesus and to listen to His word
because I love Him.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Living with a heart of devotion is about
giving Him the best of my
time and thoughts
so that as I go about my day,
my heart is centered on and
DEVOTED
to Christ"

          This definition is what I felt in my heart to be what I was looking for, God wants the best of our time and thoughts not our sloppy seconds. He wants to be the first thing we think of, the first that we go to in time of need, and not just an after thought.
          So after I found this I continued my search through the bible and the Lord lead me to the book of Ruth. In this book we meet a woman who is devoted to a God who was not originally her God but through her devotion to Christ she is devoted and completely loyal to her mother-in-law Naomi who taught Ruth about the living God. Isn't that awesome, the way God works!  In this book we see what true devotion is, Ruth shows what a blessing true devotion can be.
          So I leave you with this question in mind, are you giving God your true devotion or are you giving Him your sloppy seconds?


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the thoughts. Have a great week!

    Jennifer Dougan

    www.jenniferdougan.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are welcome. Hope your week was good as well. God Bless!

    ReplyDelete